Chase, shooting suspect faces 28 counts


It was a different scene for CJ Galley just days after his arrest for allegedly trying to kill seven police officers.

During his first court hearing, in which prosecutors presented a 28-count complaint, Galley, 23, appeared more than willing to comply with orders from a large courtroom guard standing over his shoulder. He was admonished for turning to look at observers, including a handful of his family members, and had to be told to stand when Douglas County Court Judge Susanna Meissner-Cutler entered the courtroom Feb. 28.

Days earlier on Feb. 23, police say Galley repeatedly defied their instructions and led them on a chase from Castle Rock to Parker shortly after midnight. He allegedly fired on officers from at least three jurisdictions, and the pursuit ended when Galley and two people in his car fled on foot. Three suspects were apprehended hours later hiding in backyards in the quiet Clarke Farms neighborhood.

Galley, through his appointed public defender, Emily Wickham, waived his right to the reading and advisement of the charges against him. Wickham sought to schedule a preliminary hearing within the next 60 days to discuss whether there is enough evidence to proceed with the charges, which include seven counts of attempted first-degree murder of a peace officer.

Meissner-Cutler, clearly unhappy about the requested delay, warned Wickham by saying, “You need to be ready to go.” The preliminary hearing was scheduled for 9 a.m. April 18 at the Robert A. Christensen Justice Center in Castle Rock. The same date was set for co-defendant David Vasquez, 24, of Federal Heights.

Another hearing to allow the 18th Judicial District to submit fingerprints into evidence was scheduled for 9 a.m. March 14. Wickham objected to the fingerprints being entered Feb. 28 because she did not have time to review and respond to the motion.

Gwen Devilbiss, who was a passenger in Galley’s vehicle and was the only person to sustain a gunshot wound during the melee, has not been charged. She was treated at a local hospital after her arrest.

“Devilbiss has been released from custody pending further investigation,” a Parker police spokeswoman said.

Her Facebook profile shows a picture of Galley with his arm around her, a cigarette dangling from his mouth.

The chase reportedly started when Galley, of Northglenn, was confronted by officers who were trying to serve him with several warrants, including one for assault on a police officer with a weapon.

Galley and Vasquez are each being held on a $5 million bond.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment