Top-seeded Valor Christian and No. 2 seed ThunderRidge were two of the seven south metro teams to win second-round games in the Class 4A and 5A state basketball playoffs.
Both Valor in 4A and the Grizzlies in 5A drew first-round byes on Feb. 22 and notched second-round victories on Feb. 25 to advance to the Sweet 16 on March 1.
Other south metro teams to gain a spot in the Sweet 16 were Cherry Creek, Arapahoe, Mountain Vista, Rock Canyon and Chaparral.
Winners of Sweet 16 games moved on to the Great 8, which will be held March 4. In Class 4A, Great 8 games will be hosted by higher-seeded teams, while the Class 5A Great 8 will be at the Denver Coliseum.
- Cherokee Trail 80, Douglas County 48: The Cougars jumped to a 15-0 lead and never looked back in the victory over the Huskies. Douglas County managed the most wins in nine seasons with a 10-14 record.
- Denver South 50, Heritage 46: The Eagles were outscored 17-10 in the fourth period and lost a close game to the Rebels. Senior Walker Andrew's 16 points led Heritage.
- Highlands Ranch 61, Fairview 40: Highlands Ranch led by 30 points after three quarters and cruised to a first round victory.
- Arapahoe 47, Pine Creek 44: Junior Drew Hayes scored 12 points to lead the Warriors to a narrow win.
- Legend 62, Horizon 38: Sophomore Caleb Tamminga scored 19 points as the Titans build a big lead and cruised to an opening-round triumph.
- Ponderosa 62, Pueblo Centennial 47: In a Class 4A opening-round game, Pueblo Centennial shot on 21 percent from the field in the loss to the Mustangs.
- ThunderRidge 93, Liberty 50: Kaison Hammonds and Corey Seng each scored 19 points for the top-seeded Grizzlies.
- Cherry Creek 80, Denver South 71: Jalen Meeks scored 23 points and was one of four Bruins to reach double figures in the win over the Rebels.
- Smoky Hill 76, Highlands Ranch 52: The Falcons' late-season streak of four straight victories ended.
- Chaparral 53, Regis Jesuit 50: The Wolverines, down seven entering the fourth quarter, rallied to beat the Raiders as sophomore Joseph Dalton scored a game-high 19 points for the winners.
- Arapahoe 65, Doherty 61: Kyle Lukasiewiz scored 32 points and Jared Johnson chipped in 20 as the Warriors held off Doherty.
- Rock Canyon 61, Boulder 50: The Jaguars outscored Boulder by nine points in the fourth quarter to secure the win over the Panthers.
- Mountain Vista 47, Legend 39: The Golden Eagles came from behind in the fourth quarter to down the Titans as sophomore Simon May earned Player of the Game honors after scoring 14 points for Vista.
- Valor Christian 65, Thomas Jefferson 51: The top-seeded Eagles pulled away in the second half as Dylan McCaffrey's 17 led four Eagles scorers in double figures.
- Vista Peak 52, Ponderosa 47: The Mustangs fell behind early and were eliminated from the 4A playoffs.
Lutheran, seeded 14th, will play No. 19 Vanguard in a first-round state tournament game March 3 at Colorado Springs Christian school. The Lions were fourth in the Metro district tournament, falling 68-55 to Faith Christian in the third-place game.