Parker man shot dead by police


The Denver District Attorney’s Office has launched an investigation into the police-involved shooting death of a Parker man.

The Denver Police Department was called to the Niagara House Motel at 6701 E. Colfax Ave. July 31 after receiving a report that one of the guests had a gun. Officers arrested Kevin Ryberg, 22, a Ponderosa High School graduate, on a warrant, as well as on charges of possession of a controlled substance and possession of a weapon.

Denver police say Ryberg was in the back of the patrol car at 6300 E. 39th Street en route to the station when he slipped out of his handcuffs and “attacked” the arresting officer. An officer who was driving behind the patrol car saw the struggle and “came to the assistance of the first officer and the party was shot and pronounced dead,” a statement from the Denver Police Department said.

Ryberg died around 12:10 a.m. at Denver Health Medical Center of what the Denver Office of the Medical Examiner said was “multiple gunshot wounds.” The coroner listed the manner of death as homicide, as is typical “any time someone is killed by another person,” said deputy coroner Michelle Weiss-Samaras.

A funeral for Ryberg was Aug. 5 at Horan & McConaty Family Chapel in Aurora. He was laid to rest at Franktown Cemetery, according to a listing on the Horan & McConaty website.

A message left for Ryberg’s mother, Brenda, was not returned before press deadline and there was no immediate response to a message sent to one of Ryberg’s Facebook friends.

Ryberg’s bio on his MySpace account, which appears to have been inactive for at least three years, said he believed he had “been to hell and back. But im (sic) still on my feet trying to make something of myself today.” He acknowledged past troubles and said he had learned a lot. His interests included working on cars, working out and “just being free.”

Nearly one week after the shooting, 20 comments had been posted on Ryberg’s online obituary, including one from Parker real estate agent Joe Skalisky, who said he had “nothing but fond memories of Kevin” and described him as his “best Cub Scout and favorite Hawks football player.”

The shooting is being investigated by the Denver Police Department and the Denver District Attorney’s Office, with oversight from the Office of the Independent Monitor.



No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment