Chaparral • The girls volleyball team, No. 1 ranked in the CHSAANow.com poll, beat Heritage 3-0 on Oct. 4 as senior Kira Thomsen had 17 kills and nine digs. Next up for the team is an Oct. 16 game …
This item is available in full to subscribers.
If you're a print subscriber, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one.
Click here to see your options for becoming a subscriber.
If you made a voluntary contribution of $25 or more in Nov. 2017-2018, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one at no additional charge. VIP Digital Access Includes access to all websites
• The girls volleyball team, No. 1 ranked in the CHSAANow.com poll, beat Heritage 3-0 on Oct. 4 as senior Kira Thomsen had 17 kills and nine digs. Next up for the team is an Oct. 16 game against Highlands Ranch. Chaparral has won the past three matches played against the Falcons and holds a 10-8 edge in the series dating back to the 2007 season.
• The softball team ended the regular season with five losses and finished with a 10-13 record. The 10 victories equals the combined win total of the past two seasons.
• The defending 5A state champion softball team won the regular season Continental League title with a 10-0 record and will head into the state playoffs with a 14-9 overall mark. The team has a .415 batting average, with Payton Lincavage leading the way with a .521 average and 30 runs batted in. Lauren Griggs has five of the team's 23 homers.
• Senior soccer player Sean Marek leads the Continental League in points with 25 and also in scoring with 11 goals. The team plays Highlands Ranch next on Oct. 16 and has won six of its last eight matches, but will be out to stop a two-game losing skid. Against Highlands Ranch, the Titans have won four straight matches.
• Freshman Ashley Johnson finished fourth with a time of 19:32.51 in the girls race at the Pat Amato Frosh/Soph Invitational cross country meet held on Oct. 2.
• The undefeated and top-ranked 3A volleyball team in the CHSAANow.com poll downed St. Mary's Academy 3-0 on Oct. 2. Payton Brgoch had 15 kills in the match and the junior is the leader in the Class 3A Metro League with a .521 kills percentage and 190 kills.
• Freshman soccer goalkeeper Gabriel Johnson has allowed seven goals in nine matches for a 0.875 goals against average in 640 minutes of playing time.
• Junior Abbie Saline was the top girls runner in the Pat Amato Classic cross country meet as she came in 13th with a time of 21:33.00. Ty Schauer crossed the finish line 31st in the boys race.
• The football team surrendered a first-quarter touchdown but blanked Denver South for the rest of the game and notched a 21-7 victory on Oct. 6. The Mustangs managed only 157 yards of total offense, but the defense, led by Ben Beecher's 10 total tackles and five sacks by the team, helped seal the win. Ethan Waite had two of the sacks. Ponderosa hosts Gateway Oct. 11 at Echo Park Stadium.
• The volleyball team downed Legend 3-0 on Oct. 4. The 4A Mustangs, 11-5 overall, are 3-4 in the Continental League and have an Oct. 16 match scheduled against Heritage. Senior Taylor Wiebold leads the 5A/4A Continental League in hitting with a .385 percentage.
• Junior Baylie Koonce finished with a time of 18:06.40 and ran third in the girls race at the Pat Amato Classic cross country meet on Oct. 5.
Other items that may interest you
We have noticed you are using an ad blocking plugin in your browser.
The revenue we receive from our advertisers helps make this site possible. We request you whitelist our site.