Chaparral • The boys basketball team is fifth in the CHSAANow.com Class 5A rankings and the Wolverines have several players at the top or near the top of the Continental League statistics. Junior …
This item is available in full to subscribers.
If you're a print subscriber, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one.
Click here to see your options for becoming a subscriber.
If you made a voluntary contribution of $25 or more in Nov. 2017-2018, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one at no additional charge. VIP Digital Access Includes access to all websites
• The boys basketball team is fifth in the CHSAANow.com Class 5A rankings and the Wolverines have several players at the top or near the top of the Continental League statistics. Junior Joseph Dalton is the league leader with 37 3-pointers made and sophomore Kobe Sanders is averaging 4.4 assists per game, which is tops in the league. Junior Ronnie Degray III is fifth in scoring with a 19.6 average.
• The girls basketball team took a five-game winning streak into Continental League games against Ponderosa on Jan. 16 and Castle View on Jan. 18. Junior Sydney Speights, daughter of coach Tony Speights, leads the team in scoring with a 13.7 average.
• Junior Sufyan Elkannan is the leader on the boys basketball team with a 15.3 scoring average and 6.6 rebounds per game. The Titans play 10th-ranked Highlands Ranch Jan. 18. Legend is 3-5 in the series against the Falcons but have won the past three games.
• If you like balanced scoring, the girls basketball team has it with six players averaging between 4.3 and 8.3 points per game. Legend will need that balance when the Titans face third-ranked Highlands Ranch on Jan. 18. Legend has never beaten the Falcons in seven games played between the schools.
Senior Haley Shaklee made seven 3-point baskets and scored 23 points in a 67-64 loss to Pueblo East on Jan. 12. Shaklee ranks second in Class 3A state statistics with 28 made 3-pointers in eight games.
• The boys basketball team is off to an 11-2 start, which includes an 82-53 victory over Heritage in the Continental League opener on Jan. 13. It was a key win considering Ponderosa, a 4A school, has had trouble going against 5A league teams. After the win over Heritage, the Mustangs are 25-89 all-time against teams currently in the Continental League. The boys teams is now 7-6 in games against Heritage.
• Two wrestlers are listed at the top of the OnTheMat rankings. Cohlton Schultz is list No. 1 at 285 pounds and Jayden Woodruff is rated first at 195 pounds.
• The girls basketball team has four juniors, two sophomores and one freshman on its roster. And that one freshman, Liberty Line, is second in the Continental League in scoring with a 13.7 average.
Other items that may interest you
We have noticed you are using an ad blocking plugin in your browser.
The revenue we receive from our advertisers helps make this site possible. We request you whitelist our site.