(BPT) - Colorful and exciting decorations are a holiday must-have for families. Children often love the items that light up, move or make noises, so you are likely to have these in your holiday decor collection. While these seasonal decorations add to the festivities, it's also important to be cautious of the potential hidden dangers.
No matter how you choose to decorate, make sure you do so safely. Keep in mind that the same decorative items that make the holiday season the most magical, beautiful and inviting for children may also be dangerous.
Why? Many decorations are powered by a lithium coin battery, which is about the same size as a nickel and the diameter of a child's esophagus. If swallowed, the battery can get lodged in the esophagus and burn through the surrounding tissue in as little as two hours, causing serious harm.
Some holiday decor items that use lithium coin batteries include:
While these beloved holiday decorations may pose a risk to small children, that doesn't mean you have to forgo decorating altogether. With a little bit of foresight and planning, your whole family can enjoy lithium coin battery-powered decorations.
How to Holiday Safely
Here are some tips you should follow to have a fun and safe holiday season.
1. Get down to your child's eye level to see what they see. Look for loose lithium coin batteries in couch cushions, on low tables and shelves or any other areas that a child can reach.
2. Keep all new and used lithium coin batteries in a secure compartment, up high and out of a child's reach.
3. Secure lithium coin battery compartments on devices and holiday decor by tightening the screws or securing them with tape. Tape could ensure that the compartment does not accidentally open.
4. Select Duracell lithium coin batteries that have a non-toxic bitter coating designed to help discourage swallowing and come in child-secure packaging.
5. Keep a watchful eye. Toddlers and young children are curious by nature, so close supervision is key. And team up with friends and family to spread this information and to help keep children safe. Share your fun but safe holiday decor on social media using #HolidaySafely, which is a part of Duracell's Power Safely initiative to help generate awareness among parents and caregivers on the importance of practicing lithium coin battery safety.
"As an interior designer, my job is to help families live better in their homes. And as a parent, it's about keeping my children safe," says Nate Berkus, interior designer and Duracell partner. "I love celebrating the holidays and all of the fun traditions that make the season feel special. Using Duracell lithium coin batteries with bitter coating in my holiday lighting gives me added peace of mind to #HolidaySafely."
To learn more, visit Duracell.com/PowerSafely.
Other items that may interest you
We have noticed you are using an ad blocking plugin in your browser.
The revenue we receive from our advertisers helps make this site possible. We request you whitelist our site.